Subject: Re: [docbook-apps] Coloring body text portions

Hi,
The approaches for HTML and PDF differ somewhat.  For HTML output, it is
easier to export a class attribute on some HTML element and then write a CSS
stylesheet to apply styles such as color.  A few elements like <phrase> and
<emphasis> can export their role attribute value as a class attribute if you
set the right stylesheet parameter.  See this section for an example:

http://www.sagehill.net/docbookxsl/UsingCSS.html#CustomClass

For PDF output, there are no attribute-sets to do what you want. You
generally need to add templates that respond to a role attribute value in
your document.  Here is an example:

<xsl:template match="literal[@role='reference']">
  <fo:inline color="blue">
    <xsl:apply-imports/>
  </fo:inline>
</xsl:template>

Then any instance of <literal role="reference"> will appear in blue in your
output.

DocBook Consulting