Subject: Re: [docbook-apps] Not break chapters

Yes, you can do this by customizing the chapter template without altering
the page masters.

If you look at the match="chapter" template in fo/component.xsl, you'll see
that it creates an fo:page-sequence for each chapter.  To prevent that you
will need to customize that template so only the first chapter generates the
page-sequence element, and all other chapters are processed within the same
page-sequence (but not generating their own nested page-sequence which is
not permitted).

At the end of the "chapter" template, add this xsl:for-each statement to
process all the non-first chapters with a named template:

      <xsl:apply-templates/>
      <xsl:for-each select="/book/chapter[position() != 1]">
        <xsl:call-template name="chapter.continued"/>
      </xsl:for-each>
    </fo:flow>
  </fo:page-sequence>
</xsl:template>

Then create a template named "chapter.continued" that has the same internal
steps as the chapter template, but removing the page-sequence and its
attributes and changing fo:flow to fo:block:

<xsl:template name="chapter.continued">
  <xsl:variable name="id">
    <xsl:call-template name="object.id"/>
  </xsl:variable>

  <fo:block>
      <fo:block id="{$id}">
        <xsl:call-template name="chapter.titlepage"/>
      </fo:block>

      <xsl:variable name="toc.params">
        <xsl:call-template name="find.path.params">
          <xsl:with-param name="table"
select="normalize-space($generate.toc)"/>
        </xsl:call-template>
      </xsl:variable>
      <xsl:if test="contains($toc.params, 'toc')">
        <xsl:call-template name="component.toc"/>
        <xsl:call-template name="component.toc.separator"/>
      </xsl:if>
      <xsl:apply-templates/>
  </fo:block>
</xsl:template>

Finally, to prevent the non-first chapters from being processed again by the
chapter template, add this null template:

<xsl:template match="chapter[preceding-sibling::chapter]">
</xsl:template>

You may also need to look at fixing up the PDF bookmarks, depending on the
FO processor you are using.

DocBook Consulting