Subject: itemize and ordered list behavior

Has anyone had the following problem and or know how I
can fix it.

After creating my .fo file with xsltproc, I use
pdfxmltex to create a pdf.

In the resulting pdf, both itemize and ordered lists
have the bullet or number on one line, and then the
text jumps down and begins on the next line like a
variable list.

I am using Debian GNU Linux testing (Sarge)
distribution.

/Thane Sinclaire