Subject: Re: [docbook-apps] Docbook website XSL question

I may not be correct but as far as I understand there are two ways (by
default) to produce a webpage: tabular.xsl and website.xsl (with their
chunk versions). The tabular stylesheet produces a page with a menu and
uses tables to do the layout.

I would like to have a page with a menu (like tabular.xsl) produces but
one that does not use tables to do the output. Another problem for me
are various attributes buried in xsl (param.xsl) like background and
foreground colors, column widths, etc. I would rather like to get
something like this:

for a menu, rather than:

I think that CSS is better to do layout of a page. It can do more or
less everything what a table can do and allows readable html that does
not misuse table element to do layout.

I hope I have explained myself better. I am quite new to the website
stylesheets so I might have misunderstood something. As for now, I wrote
a customization to the tabular.xsl stylesheet that replaces all the
table layout with divs. That lets me do all the layout using CSS.

Marcin Zalewski

PS. I just looked at the non-tabular output and that seems to be
actually closer to what I want but still uses tables for some layout.