Subject: Re: [docbook-apps] Problems using PassiveTeX/JadeTeX for equations

Marco Stolpe <x25ugip1@freenet.de> wrote on Wed, 11 Aug 2004 16:07:27
+0200:

> PassiveTeX (TeXLive 7 distribution).
>
> I soon discovered that PassiveTeX doesn't work.

PassiveTeX is quite delicate to get up and running. I suggest you make
sure you have the latest xmltex and the latest passivetex from
Sebastian Rahtz' site, and install them manually if necessary.

> Am I right that version 4.3 of DocBook and the 1.65.1 stylesheets
> don't work together with PassiveTeX? What versions would I have to use
> if I wanted to use PassiveTeX?

To the (great) extent that backward compatibility is maintained
between DocBook versions, you can use the 1.65.1 stylesheets with any
(later) version of DocBook. I use DocBook 4.3 with 1.65.1 with a
customization layer that, among other things, adds support for recent
additions to DocBook (<code> etc.).

This works for me, including equations.

FYI, I code my math as follows:

  <informalequation>
    <mediaobject>
      <textobject role="tex">
        <phrase><![CDATA[
          \pi_i = P(X_0 = s_i)
          ]]></phrase>
      </textobject>
      <textobject role="html">
        <xi:include xmlns:xi="http://www.w3.org/2003/XInclude";
          href="texmath-pii.xml"/>
      </textobject>
    </mediaobject>
  </informalequation>

where the file "texmath-pii.xml" contains a MathML representation that
is generated automatically from the TeX math using ttm
(http://hutchinson.belmont.ma.us/tth/mml/) plus some perl hackery.

Justus

--
Justus H. Piater, Ph.D.         http://www.montefiore.ulg.ac.be/~piater/
Institut Montefiore, B28        Phone: +32-4-366-2279