Subject: Re: [docbook-apps] OT: How to translate DocBook documents into differentlanguages

Hi,
well, I'd not say that this is very off-topic, but in fact a common
problem...

The good news is that there are tools to accomplish your task, the bad
news is that they are not open source, but commercial software.
The following ones have been proved to do the job well:
- Trados Tag Editor by Trados (www.trados.com),
- Transit by Star Transit (www.star-transit.com),
- XLIFF Editor by Heartsome (www.heartsome.net) - which is the only
Java-based and therefore platform-independent tool.

Maybe you can try to get an evaluation copy; on the other hand there
might be specially priced licenses for research institutes.

All of these tools are translation memory systems: The basic idea is to
involve a fuzzy search engine to re-use phrases you have already
translated. This implies that when you begin from scratch (and have no
translation memory yet), you cannot pre-translate your document.
There are some machine-translation tools such as SYSTRAN, but I have no
idea how well they fit the task, and whether they preserve your markup.

Regards,
Markus