Subject: Re: [docbook-apps] OT: How to translate DocBook documents into differentlanguages

Hello Markus,

thank you for your quick response!

Markus Schütz wrote:
> The good news is that there are tools to accomplish your task, the bad
> news is that they are not open source, but commercial software.
> The following ones have been proved to do the job well:
> - Trados Tag Editor by Trados (www.trados.com),
> - Transit by Star Transit (www.star-transit.com),

Unfortunately, I was not able to find any evaluation version of
Trados/Transit for download.

> - XLIFF Editor by Heartsome (www.heartsome.net) - which is the only
> Java-based and therefore platform-independent tool.

Thank you for this link. I've tried an evaluation version
("xlfedit-lite"). I was playing around with it for some hours.

Unfortunately, I can't find any tutorial on that program, so to a big
extent, I had to guess how to use this program. There is a manual, but
it is surely not written for absolute beginners like me.

It seems that this program might be very useful for me, although there
are some points I'm worried about:

1) I use external entities like this

&chap1;
&chap2;
&chap3;
&appa;
&appb;
</book>

but XLIFF creates one big document from that. Ok, I could fix this by
hand afterwards.

2) The editor expands all internal entity references. I do not know how
to switch off this behaviour.

3) The editor treats some DocBook inline elements like <author>
obviously as block elements. I do not know how to tell it the
difference. Again, the manual is not very clear here.

Frankly speaking, I do not understand the handling of inline markup in
the editor, nor its interaction with the underlying DTD.

4) The program sometimes crashes. :-)

Altogether, it seems that I'm just missing a good introductory text on
how to use this program for producing a translation of a larger work.

Still another question: I need a good way to produce a pure txt-version
of my DocBook document which can then be fed into a translation program.
Is there an easy way to do this? (OK, I could do some XSLT programming,
but maybe someone has already come up with a solution.)

Greetings,
Joachim

--
Joachim Ziegler                       Stuhlsatzenhausweg 85
Max-Planck-Institut für Informatik    66123 Saarbrücken, Germany