Subject: Re: [docbook-apps] programlisting fo wrap break line character

Jirka Kosek:
> David Tolpin wrote:
>
> > replace spaces with   and it will.  I didn't test it, but
> > it should with XEP; let me know if it does not (despite my expectactions)
> > and I'll fix.
>
> Thanks, generally it works, but two minor issues are still remaining.
>
> 1. I want breaks to appear only on spaces and on several other
> characters but not in a middle of words. I thought that placing
> soft-hyphen (U+00AD) after non-breakable spaces and zero width joiner
> (U+200D) after all other characters would help. But words are still
> hyphenated. Is there any other way to control hyphentation inside inline
> area, or should U+200D work and is this bug in XEP, or this is not
> possible with FO?

The right way in FO to switch hyphenation off is to switch hyphenation
off (hyphenate="false"). There is no semantics behind 200D in XSL FO,
and XEP just skips them. If you turn hyphenation off, then the words
will not be automatically hyphenated, and will only break on explicit
soft hyphens.

In fact, the stylesheets should switch hyphenation off on programlisting
and other verbatim items anyway.

> 2. I want to use character from other font then from one used for
> programlisting to show some nice icon on a place where line was broken.
> I thought that specifying multiple fonts in font-family and using
> font-selection-strategy="character-by-character" should work. But it
> seems to me that only first font in a list is considered when rendering
> hyphenation character.

I've looked at the code, and there is nothing special about font processing.
I've tested it, and it works; if the hyphenation character is not present in
the first font, it is taken from the second one.

David