Subject: Re: [docbook-apps] DocBook on OSX : XSLT & XSL FO programs

I use a combination of Gnome libxml2+libxslt and Java applications.

libxml2+libxslt does most of the work for my applications.  It is a
very high-performance library.  I also provide a Tcl scripting language
interface and some GUI applications to make things easier - see
http://tclxml.sf.net, particularly the tkxmllint and tkxsltproc apps.
Although there are only binaries for Mac OS X  and Windows, these can
easily be built for Linux (it's so easy I haven't bothered doing it!).

While not essential, I find scripting support very helpful for
automation.  Unless you now how to write Make files, or are comfortable
using Ant.

For FO processing I use FOP or RenderX XEP.

HTHs,
Steve Ball

On 03/11/2004, at 7:11 AM, Tristan Fiedler wrote:

> Hi All,
>
> I am new to DocBook / XML, and wanted to get the current
> recommendations (ease of installation, supports most features, etc. )
> for free software for processing DocBook into HTML & PDF using Mac OSX
> 10.3.5.  Since the entire pipeline may migrate to a linux box
> eventually, I am leaning toward Java app's (Saxon & FOP).
>
> XSLT Processors : xsltproc, Saxon, Xalan (not recommended in the
> DocBook XSL 1.66 ReadMe)
> FO Processors : Passive Tex (recommended over FOP in the DocBook XSL
> 1.66 ReadMe)
>
> If the Mac OS X users wish to contact me directly, I would be most
> appreciative and will post a summary.
>
> Cheers,
>
> Tristan
> Tristan J. Fiedler
> Postdoctoral Fellow - Stein Lab
> Cold Spring Harbor Laboratory

---

Steve Ball            |   XSLT Standard Library   | Training & Seminars
Zveno Pty Ltd         |     Web Tcl Complete      |   XML XSL Schemas
http://www.zveno.com/ |      TclXML TclDOM        | Tcl, Web Development
Ph. +61 2 6242 4099   |   Mobile (0413) 594 462   | Fax +61 2 6242 4099