Subject: Re: [docbook-apps] Apache modules for serving DocBook

On Sunday 07 November 2004 22:07, Tristan Fiedler wrote:
> I have a series of chapters (marked up with DocBook XML) stored in a
> mysql database.  I would like them to be rendered as both HTML and pdf
> through a webpage. This is creating an online book.
>
> What is the preferred / efficient method to automate this using apache
> ?  Do I need to run an XSLT and XSLFO each time?  I would prefer not to
> store the HTML and pdf, but create them on the fly if that is not to
> time consuming.  Most chapters are about 2500 words of text, plus
> markup, which can be up to 50% more.  Images are also present.

Serving Docbook dynamically was discussed some time ago:
http://sources.redhat.com/ml/docbook-apps/2004-q3/msg00609.html
http://sources.redhat.com/ml/docbook-apps/2004-q4/msg00006.html

If you come up with any solution -- let the list know. The best alternative is
the one described by Bob, but it means restraining the Docbook vocabulary and
doing heavy customizations.

Cheers,

		Frans