Subject: Re[2]: [docbook-apps] DocBook XSL 1.67.0 released

||*()*||    [\..konnichi wa, ogenki desu ka, Michael../]

MS> chotto genki ja nai. I caught something and have a 38+ degree
MS> fever right now. The accompanying hallucinations are kind of nice,
MS> but the chills and pounding in my head make them kind of hard to
MS> fully enjoy...

Record them somewhere to enjoy them later in a more clear state
 of mind. =) Tnx for a package!

>> That's great, but could you also pack release to 7z? (http://7-zip.org)
MS> I'm not familiar with 7-zip at all. It seems to be something
MS> that's not used much on Linux, but mainly on MS Windows, right?

Well, I can't say how it is used on Linux, but I use it like a plugin
for my win Far Manager to deal with all popular compression formats
(*nix are also included) with the help of one tool.

MS> and installed that. I ran 7za with the following command line:

MS>   7za a -t7z -m0=lzma -mx=9 -mfb=64 -md=32m -ms=on -r ¥
MS>     docbook-xsl-1.67.0.7z docbook-xsl-1.67.0

MS> I have no idea what most of those switches mean, but the man page
MS> describes those as the "ultra settings", so I figured as long as
MS> we were using a compression format designed to make the file size
MS> as small as possible, hey, we might as well go all the way...

 -mx=9 tunes other -m settings, so usually you don't need to bother
       with them. All of -m are default settings when just -mx=9 is
       used. Well, except -ms=on, which means to create "solid"
       archive. Something about compressing filenames and directory
       structure information.
 -mx=[0 | 1 | 5 | 7 | 9 ] Sets level of compression
 -t    is a type of archive to be created. Can be zip, 7z, gzip,
       bzip2, tar. All with one tool.
 -r    add dirs recursively

 In fact I never use level 9. It takes more time and sometimes the
result is the same as with 7th.

MS> When it's done I see that it's managed to compress all 14Mb of
MS> docbook-xsl down to only 594K, which is great -- a lot better than
MS> the 2.4M that regular zip compresses it to.

MS> Problem is that it takes 7 minutes to do it, which ain't so great.
MS> (Hey, Is that why they call it 7-zip?) In comparision, tarring and
MS> bzip2'ing it takes only 11 seconds -

MS>   7z       7m4.344s     594K
MS>   tar+bz2  0m11.930s    894K
MS>   tar+gz   0m1.612s     1.5M
MS>   zip      0m1.423s     2.4M

Hmm, maybe the port isn't very optimized? To me 7minutes is a reason for
RFE if not for bugreport, because on my win 747 coppermine it took 1m12s
to execute:

7z a -t7z -mx=7 -ms=on -r docbook-xsl-1.67.1.7z docbook-xsl-1.67.0\*

Produced size: 606,610 bytes

MS> But if I'm the one who does the next release, I'll upload a 7z
MS> file along with the rest. If I'm not, you may need to remind me
MS> again at that time, and I'll build and upload one separately.

Alright. BTW, it will interesting to see a number of downloads
for each package.

Get well. =)
--
                   //Old Rusty Cans Killers [ORCK]: