Subject: Re: [docbook-apps] xref to indexterm

On Wed, 2005-01-05 at 21:39 -0800, Bob Stayton wrote:
> Well, believe it or not, there was a request awhile back to link into the
> index. It is a good starting point for finding out information about a
> certain topic if you don't have a specific reference in mind.
>
> Maybe you should do this as a customization.  I think the semantics of an
> xref to an indexterm is a bit muddied, because the indexterm serves two
> purposes. When processed, it becomes a marker with an id, but there is no
> text at that location.  Rather, the text appears in the index, but without
> the id.  I guess I'm having trouble with the idea of linking to an invisible
> element. There is no guarantee that the text of the link appears at the
> target location.

Surely the target of the xref should be text *outside* the indexterm,
I.e. the content being indexed?

<para>
The Tiger<indexterm>
<primary>Big Cats</primary>
is a very large cat indeed.
</para>

Its the para that *should* be the target IMHO,
not the indexterm within the para?

I don't think its muddy Bob, the indexterm seems almost
an invalid target for an xref?

--
Regards,

Dave Pawson