OASIS Mailing List ArchivesView the OASIS mailing list archive below
or browse/search using MarkMail.


Help: OASIS Mailing Lists Help | MarkMail Help

docbook-apps message

[Date Prev] | [Thread Prev] | [Thread Next] | [Date Next] -- [Date Index] | [Thread Index] | [List Home]

Subject: Re: [docbook-apps] Setting charset attribute of <meta> tag forHTML output

On 1/18/05 11:38, "Paul DuBois" <paul@kitebird.com> wrote:

> I'm using the /html/chunk.xsl stylesheets, which produce output files that
> begin like this:
> <html><head><meta http-equiv="Content-Type" content="text/html;
> charset=utf-8"><title>Preface</title><meta name="generator" content="DocBook
> XSL Stylesheets V1.67.2"> ...
> However, some translations of my document are in other languages.  For
> example, I have a Japanese version, for which the charset value in the first
> <meta> tag needs to be set to charset=euc-jp rather than charset=utf-8.
> Is this possible?  Thanks.

This is a follow-up message, for those of you who may have wondered
"Why is he asking that question when the obvious answer is to set
the chunker.output.encoding parameter?"

And indeed I had tried that, but it wasn't working, which is what made
me curious about how to get the charset set "properly."

The solution turned out to have nothing to do with the DocBook XSL
stylesheets.  The larger picture was that I was working with a
chain of commands to convert documents in a non-XML format into
DocBook.  The problems that I was seeing arose due to the fact that
not all the early steps in the chain were taking charset encoding
into account properly.  Once I got that taken care of, getting
the DocBook stylesheets to produce proper output for Russian and
Japanese was no problem.

Now I have to look into producing PDF output.  Oddly, the text in
the bookmarks of the resulting PDFs displays properly, but non-ASCII
characters everywhere else show up as # characters. (I don't necessarily
find it odd that they show up as '#' ... I would have suspected some kind
of missing-font problem ... except that title text in the bookmarks
displays in the proper font. Hmm...)

[Date Prev] | [Thread Prev] | [Thread Next] | [Date Next] -- [Date Index] | [Thread Index] | [List Home]