Subject: Re: [docbook-apps] Nested ItemizedList with Mozilla and PDF

----- Original Message -----
From: "Marco Baumgartl" <Marco_Baumgartl@yahoo.de>
To: <docbook-apps@lists.oasis-open.org>
Sent: Tuesday, February 15, 2005 8:02 AM

> Hi,
>
> first of all: Sorry for the double-post. I have tried over a hour to get
> the thread from Ray Miller (February 1st) from the archive - without
> success :-(
>
> Bob's workaround for IE6 and the HTML-output works well. Thanks! But I
> have to do the same thing with Mozilla/Firebird (may be even Opera).
> Firebird displays my nested list like that:
>
> - level 1
> - level 1
> - * level 2
> * level 2
> * # level 3
>          # level 3
>
> This doesn't look well, but Firebird renders this according to the
> produced HTML source code. So it doesn't make any mistake. I've tried to
> get around this problem using CSS - without success so far.
>
> Is there any known solution to this problem? (I can't believe that I'm
> the one who is facing this issue the first time.)
>
> Furthermore, the PDF output (produced by the XSLFormatter evaluation
> version) looks strange too:
>
> * level 1
> * level 1
> * * level 2
> * level 2
> * * level 3
> * level 3
>
> Refering to the above mentioned thread, there seems to be a problem with
> Apache's FOP too. Is there any renderer that produces the desired output?

In PDF output, the problem is the stylesheet, not the renderer.  The FO
stylesheet does not support a value of "none" for the bullet character
override.  That is a bug that needs to be fixed.

I think you can fix this problem by changing your source rather than trying
to force an empty list marker.  If you put the embedded list into the
previous level1 listitem, then it should work as you want in all outputs:

<itemizedlist>
  </listitem>
    <itemizedlist>
      </listitem>