Subject: Re: [docbook-apps] Using ISONUM.ENT correctly

Hi Tristan,
The only thing you need to do to get named character entities to work is to
make sure the DocBook DTD is accessible during your processing.  If the DTD
is available, the parser will convert ― to ― automatically,
and you should see that numerical entity reference in your FO output file if
you peek inside it.

But the problem you are having, though, is that the font named "Symbol" on
Windows and Macs is the Adobe Symbol font.  It does not contain that
character.  So even if you manually set the font-family to Symbol for that
character, it won't work because the character is not in the font.  You need
to find a font that has that character.

DocBook Consulting

From: "Tristan Fiedler" <fiedler@cshl.edu>
To: "Jirka Kosek" <jirka@kosek.cz>; "Docbook-Apps"
<docbook-apps@lists.oasis-open.org>
Sent: Thursday, February 17, 2005 10:00 AM
Subject: [docbook-apps] Using ISONUM.ENT correctly

I am using a Mac OSX 10.3.8 with Adobe Reader 6.0, Saxon 6.5.3 and FOP
0.20.5.  My system's Font Book shows the "Symbol" font enabled under
both AllFonts>Computer, and PDF, but not AllFonts>User.  Is this the
problem?

I would like to show several symbols in my PDF - but having no luck.
For example, how would I show (in PDF) the horizontal bar referenced in
the isonum.ent file:

<!ENTITY horbar           "&#x02015;" ><!--HORIZONTAL BAR -->

I have tried putting the following at the top of my DocBook article:

   <!ENTITY % isonum PUBLIC
          "ISO 8879:1986//ENTITIES Numeric and Special Graphic//EN//XML"
          "http://www.w3.org/2003/entities/iso8879/isonum.ent";

        %isonum;

But this is not correct my parser tells me (something with the last
line I believe).

I have also tried various combinations of hex /dec, unicode, etc., as
well as various stylesheet things like :

<xsl:param name="symbol.font.family"
select="'Symbol,ZapfDingbats'"></xsl:param>

<!-- Force Special Characters to change to Symbol font
(http://www.sagehill.net/docbookxsl/SpecialChars.html)  - BEGIN -->
<xsl:template match="symbol[@role = 'symbolfont']">
<fo:inline font-family="Symbol">
<xsl:call-template name="inline.charseq"/>
</fo:inline>
</xsl:template>
<!-- Force Special Characters to change to Symbol font
(http://www.sagehill.net/docbookxsl/SpecialChars.html)  - END -->

-----

I would like to show several symbols in my PDF - but having no luck.
For example, how would I show (in PDF) the horizontal bar referenced in
the isonum.ent file:

<!ENTITY horbar           "&#x02015;" ><!--HORIZONTAL BAR -->

Could someone give a clear description of how to use these character
entities?

Thank you,

Tristan
Tristan J. Fiedler