Subject: Re: [docbook-apps] declaring document id's

I'm sorry this wasn't clear.  The document identifier is used in two places:

1.  In a targetdoc attribute in a <document> element within the target
database document (see step 4).

2.  In a targetdoc attribute in any <olink> elements that  point to that
document (see step 2).

The document identifier is not an "id" attribute, so I should not have
referred to it that way.  The document identifier does not necessarily even
appear in the document being referenced.  That's because it must be unique
across the collection of documents, and the id attribute on the root element
of a document is not necessarily unique across a collection, only unique
within that document.

That said, it isn't uncommon to reuse the value of the id attribute of the
root element of a document as its document identifier, but only if it is
unique within the collection of documents.  But when an olink is resolved,
the document isn't found by its root element id attribute, but by its
targetdoc attribute in the target database document.

DocBook Consulting