Subject: website: generating autolayout.xml needs huge amount of memory

Hi,

we are in the process of converting a set of pages (~ 2200) to DocBook
website. The XSLT processor is xsltproc.

I observed that generating the file autolayout.xml from layout.xml needs
a really huge amount of memory: with only 170 XML files included in
layout,xml, top shows a total process size of > 350 MB.

How can I reduce/avoid this (IMHO) insane amount of required memory?
Do we even have to use layout.xml/autolayout.xml if we do not need the
hierarchical view (we do not have/want a navigation bar)?

I am a beginner with XML/DocBook/website and maybe I am doing
something completely wrong.
Is xsltproc the wrong tool? Do other processors require a similar
amount of RAM?
I cannot really see how we could be able to process layout.xml with all
the 2200 pages if we already have problems with less than 10% of all
pages. How do other people cope with that problem?

The topic of memory consumption and autolayout,xml already came up on
this list in 2003-08 but I did not see a final solution in the archive.

ciao
     Klaus