Subject: Re: [docbook-apps] excluding image format according to output

Hi Paul; Thanks for the info.

On Sun, 2005-04-17 at 09:28 +0930, Paul A. Hoadley wrote:

> To keep it simple, I'll stick with line drawing diagrams as the type
> of image, since the considerations are probably different for
> different image types (such as photographs, screenshots, and so on).
So down to vector images, on fo output?
  This does narrow down doesn't it!
  Is SVG the only viable vector format for HTML then? Still restricted
to a browser plug in.

> If the output format can handle it, you are certainly better off using
> a vector format for the image (EPS, SVG, PDF).
Again showing my ignorance. EPS I knew of, SVG I'm OK with, but PDF for
an image?
  What tools are used to generate them please?
  Do they open in Acrobat reader as any other file?
(Did you know Acrobat reader 7 is now available for Linux! What a
difference.)

>  The main issue is
> scaling.  Say your printer can print 600x600 DPI, and you have a 2
> inch square region on your page for a diagram.  An EPS image will be
> rasterised into a 1200x1200 bitmap to be placed in that region.  Now,
> if you had a 1200x1200 PNG of your diagram, the output would be
> essentially the same.
PNG isn't a vector format though Paul... is it?
>  But what if you don't?  As soon as you start
> scaling _the bitmap_, there is the potential for degradation of the
> image.  A vector graphic will always produce output at the maximum
> capability of the device.

Which is why I find SVG so awesome. Clean lines no matter what the
zoom :-) Love it.

Anyone want to comment in 'image' formats? (Even leaving scaling out).

regards DaveP