Subject: Re: [docbook-apps] Simpler XHTML output

On Mon, 2005-04-25 at 10:40 -0700, Bob Stayton wrote:

> I don't understand how you will apply styles if there is no way to select
> content in CSS.  It will certainly be simple, but it won't be styled.  8^)
Agreed. html attributes are a 'nice to have' (my view only)

> I guess I thought the goal of this project was to create an XHTML that could
> be completely controlled by a CSS.
That would be a considered option Bob. Not one for me, but I guess some
people would like to present content in a visually attractive manner.
Rene? What do you think about that?

>   In the current XHTML/HTML output, that
> is not the case because some styles are hard coded in deference to those who
> don't normally use CSS.  But if we create an XHTML that is explicitly
> dependent on CSS for styling, then we can use the full power of CSS.
Through one or more attribute values Bob? Is that what you are thinking?

> I agree that complexity should be moved from the XHTML to the CSS, but we
> need the hooks in the XHTML to apply the CSS, no?
Not for me.

>   The div elements serve a
> purpose in creating a structure in the XHTML that CSS can work with.  Since
> CSS styles can cascade down through the structure, you can set styles at the
> appropriate level and override them as needed in lower levels.  I agree that
> we should eliminate div elements that don't serve that purpose, but I can't
> see removing them all.

What use cases do you see then Bob?

Mine is very plain HTML, if viewed in a browser.
  Not exiting visually, I agree.

regards DaveP