Subject: Re: [docbook-apps] Simpler XHTML output

Rene Hache wrote:
> PROPOSED GUIDING PRINCIPLES FOR SIMPLER XHTML OUTPUT
> * Version 1.1 :) *
>
> 1. The XHTML output will comply with the W3C XHTML 1.0 Transitional
> recommendation, as well as current W3C Accessibility Guidelines.
>
> COMMENT: I will stay out of this discussion since I do not have the
> technical expertise to make an assessment of the comments posted on
> this issue.

Transitional?  Why only Transitional?  We already have XHTML
Transitional.  A style-free script would have to generate Strict code,
whether it calls it Transitional or Strict, almost by definition.

> 2. Included in the output will be a default CSS file with a basic
> layout for screen, print and handheld devices. The CSS file should be
> fully functional in current browsers: Opera 7+, Mozilla 1.0 and IE 6.

I don't think print is an issue we need consider.  If print is your
intended output, use FO.  For screen output, you should probably also
consider Konqueror and Safari (which sadly can't be considered a single
engine anymore).  Fortunately the level that the basic CSS file will be
working at should work well in everything, I'd imagine.

Handhelds, though, are an entirely different ball of wax.  Depending on
the browser you're dealing with, support ranges anywhere from a subset
of HTML 3.2 only to being only slightly worse than MS IE on the desktop.
  And then there's the pseudo-HTML browsers on phones.  Don't get me
started on those...

A style-free Strict document should, at least, render in a readable
fashion.  I'd say leave it at that for now. :-)

> 3. Outputted XHTML code will aim to be as simple (meaning fewer tags)
> as possible to facilitate CSS layout, and be completely table-less
> expect for tabular data.

"except", not "expect". :-)

And I want to be clear on what exactly that means.  Removing div and
span elements that have no class or id attributes makes sense.  But I'd
really hate to have to lose the power of having so many CSS hooks just
for the sake of not using tables for navigation.

> 4. XHTML outputted will have four main DIVs for layout purposes:
> header, navbar (for basic navigation on all pages as well as
> next/previous), content and footer.
>
> 5. Unless specified via the role attribute (or some other mechanism),
> The only DIV to be generated inside the main content div will be
> admonitions, sidebars and highlights.
>
> COMMENT: It is still my personal preference to not generate extra
> divs, but the majority seems to be leaning the other way. Maybe not
> generating those extra divs might be an option in the customization
> layer?

I don't know how easy a "reduced.div" flag would be to implement.  Bob?

But from your description, it means that my TOC styling (see previous
email) wouldn't work with this setup.  That's not even a particularly
complex example.  As I said, I really don't want to lose that ability
for the sake of one fewer tables in the output.

> 6. All graphics that will be used for navigation purposes or
> admonitions will be handled by the stylesheet. This will ensure
> maximum functionality accross various mediums and facilitate meeting
> accessibility standards.

Good.  How exactly would you do that, though?  Background image?

> Thanks for everyone who has participated in this discussion so far.
> Certainly a good example of the vibrant nature of the DocBook
> community.

Amen!

--
Larry Garfield			AIM: LOLG42
larry@garfieldtech.com		ICQ: 6817012

idea, which an individual may exclusively possess as long as he keeps it
to himself; but the moment it is divulged, it forces itself into the
possession of every one, and the receiver cannot dispossess himself of
it."  -- Thomas Jefferson