Subject: Re: [docbook-apps] Abbreviation or aliases

Mike, Dave,

This seems like a sensible way to go, but what if you have more than
200 or so entities? I'm working on a document that uses at least this
many, and they are re-generated from a database extract (along with the
entity driver files)... I have been happy with this approach to date but
now I'm working in a .NET environment, and I'll have to move from DTD to
schema and/or schema + internal DTD subset...

Any other thoughts on this?

Chris

Chris Johnson

Web Developer
Capilano College
North Vancouver, Canada

604.986.1911 ext. 3455
cjohnson@capcollege.bc.ca

Dave Pawson < davep@dpawson.co.uk > writes:

> On Thu, 2005-05-05 at 16:21 +0200, Jacques Foucry wrote:
> > Is it possible to use abbreviation or kind of aliases in docbook.

[...]

> Yes. If using xml
>
> <!DOCTYPE book SYSTEM "path/to/dtd"[
> <!ENTITY ME2PP " Microsoft Excel 2005 for Palm Pilot">
>
> ]>
>
> later
>
> <para>
> Working with &ME2PP; we do ......

It's also possible to use processing instructions as
pseudo-entities, like this:

<article>
<title>PI pseudo-entity test</title>
<simpara>This is test of expanding a "ME2PP" pseudo-entity into
"<?e ME2PP ?>" using XSLT. The example XSLT stylesheet imports the
<filename>chunk.xsl</filename> driver from the <?e DBXSL ?> package,
but you can have it import the <filename>docbook.xsl</filename>
driver or some other driver instead. The XSLT stylesheet will output
a warning about any pseudo-entity it doesn't recognize -- such as
this one: <?e HOGE-MOGE ?></simpara>
</article>

and then, to expand those pseudo-entities, process your doc
instances with an XSLT stylesheet like this:

version="1.0">
<xsl:import
href="http://docbook.sourceforge.net/release/xsl/current/html/chunk.xsl"/>
<xsl:template match="processing-instruction('e')[normalize-space() =
'ME2PP']">
<xsl:text>Microsoft Excel 2005 for Palm Pilot</xsl:text>
</xsl:template>
<xsl:template match="processing-instruction('e')[normalize-space() =
'DBXSL']">
<xsl:text>DocBook XSL Stylesheets</xsl:text>
</xsl:template>
<xsl:template match="processing-instruction('e')">
<xsl:message>Warning: Unrecognized pseudo-entity: <xsl:value-of
select="normalize-space()"/></xsl:message> <xsl:text>[Unrecognized
pseudo-entity: </xsl:text><xsl:value-of
select="normalize-space()"/><xsl:text>]</xsl:text>
</xsl:template>
</xsl:stylesheet>

Yeah, I know it's a lot more verbose than using real entities.
But not wanting to have to put a doctype declaration/internal DTD
subset in every doc instance (don't otherwise need that if you use
RELAX NG-driven tools for authoring a validation), and lacking any
standard for the equivalent of entities in the post-DTD world,
I've not found any better way to do it.

--Mike

--
Michael Smith