Subject: Re: [docbook-apps] zh_CN or zh-CN for HTML

Bernd Groh <bgroh@redhat.com> writes:

> after generating some HTML from XML DocBook for locales consisting of a
> language and a country code, such as zh_CN, I've realized that there's a
> problem with the resulting html document. This is caused by the lang
> attribute of the tags using zh_CN, instead of zh-CN, which is the HTML
> recommendation/standard (see
> http://www.w3.org/TR/REC-html40/struct/dirlang.html#h-8.1.1). Currently,
> I post-process the HTML-files with a string-replace, but I wondered
> whether there's another way of doing this automatically within the XML
> DocBook -> HTML conversion?

There is now.

I just added a new config parameter named "l10n.lang.value.rfc.compliant".

It is set to 1 by default. Unless it is set to 0, underscores in
two-part language codes are replaced with hyphens. You can try it
out using the latest snapshot:

  http://docbook.sourceforge.net/snapshot/

There is a possibility that it could end up being set to 0 by
default before the next official release -- to make it backward
compatible. But I would argue that since this is an issue of
standards compliance, we should be making the default compliant
with the standards, with users given the option to make it not
compliant if for some reason they need to do that. Or to put it
another way, users should not need to explicitly set a parameter
in order to ensure that their output it compliant.

  --Mike

--
Michael Smith
http://logopoeia.com/  http://www.oreillynet.com/pub/au/890