Subject: Web-based help from Docbook

Please pardon this long post.  I am hoping for advice from people who
have delivered online help over a network (e.g. the Web) from Docbook
source documents.

I need to produce online help for a Web application.  It must have basic
online help features such as an expandable TOC, full-text search, and
multiple panes.  It must work in major modern browsers and OSes, launch
directly from the Web, and not require unwieldy modifications of an
average user's computer.  The source documentation is in Docbook format.
There is an established printed documentation process so changing the
Docbook format is not an attractive option.

I generated applethelp and HTMLHelp using the Docbook XSL stylesheets.

*	Applethelp was interesting and I suspect that it could
	made to look quite nice.  I understand that there is no
	way to add full-text search to that format.  If so,
	I cannot use it.

*	HTMLHelp is great but I can't deliver it from the Web
	application.  I read about an ActiveX component that
	would allow this to work but it sounds like a shaky
	strategy since my audience is in a restrictive IT
	environment (often they do not have permission
	to install things like ActiveX components).

I did try generating Javahelp but I got stuck on some technical
problems.  I can face up to those problems if Javahelp is the best
solution though.

Here are my questions:

*	Can I polish applethelp and give it	functionality
	roughly equivalent to WebHelp (eHelp/Macromedia)?

*	Is Javahelp the easiest/best solution for delivering
      help on the Web from Docbook source?

*	Is anyone using RoboHelp to create WebHelp from
	Docbook source?  Is it difficult or problematic
	to import the XML?

* 	Are there options that I am not considering here?

Thank you very much for your help.

Peter Desjardins
SupplyScape Corporation
617-453-5760 x441