Subject: Re: [docbook-apps] Re: SGML to XML: Should I switch? How to switch?

On Aug 10, Bob McIlvride (Bob.McIlvride@cogent.ca) wrote:
 > Hi Neil,
 >
 > I, for one, would like to thank you for taking the time and making the
 > effort to update the Debian packages to work with DSSSL.  We still find
 > DSSSL the best way to get PDF output using completely open-source tools.
 >   Unfortunately, the only system we have that works is running on Redhat
 > 8.0, not a particularly robust platform.

You're welcome, and thanks for the kind words.  I happen to like Scheme as
well as DocBook, so DSSSL is right up my alley.

 > All of the rest of our Linux boxes in the company have been running
 > Debian for over a year now, but we haven't been able to generate PDF
 > docs on them.  Now I see a ray of hope.  I'm on another project for the
 > next while, but when I get time I'm going to see if we can get a 100%
 > Debian solution.  Keep up the great work.

I've been generating PDF docs on Debian continuously over the last several
years while I've been maintaining the packages.  I generate TeX using
OpenJade, then use JadeTeX to create a DVI file, then turn that into PDF with
dvipdf or into PS with dvips, etc.  I've recently been doing the same under
Cygwin, so I know that platform works, too, though JadeTeX took a little
effort to get working there.

Please let me know what errors you run into when you next try to generate PDF
on a Debian box.  Or, file a bug using the reportbug package, or on the Debian
web site, http://bugs.debian.org.  I will get an email as soon as you
submit it, and I can help you get it working.

--
Neil Roeth