Subject: Re: [docbook-apps] Docbook XML to Word(ML)?

Hi Dave,

The general technique is not specific to WordML (on the front-end),
nor is it specific to DocBook (on the back-end).  They are simply
useful targets since they are so popular.  On the front-end, I now
have the system working with Apple's Pages word-processor and would
like to look at supporting OOo at some stage.  On the back-end, some
of the clients I work for use this technique for their own
proprietary XML formats.

Bob and I balked at supporting every possible combination of DocBook
elements, but, as you said, there appears to be a useful subset.
Perhaps with further experience and some clever thought we will be
able to work out some better methods for achieving combinations.

Regarding OOo vs WordML, WordML does have a simple subset (sections/
paragraphs/text-runs), but it is rather terse and complicated by alot
of cruft.  Once you get past that it's not too bad (having said that,
it's not how *I* would have designed a markup language... ;-)

Cheers,
Steve Ball