Subject: complex tables

how do I express in docbook (and/or HTML!) a table with misaligned cells?
e.g.

|    a  |     b    |       c       |      d       |
|-------------------------------------------------|
|      e     |      f        |     g   |     g    |
|-------------------------------------------------|
|                       |                         |
|                       |           j             |
|         i             |                         |
|                       |-------------------------|
|                       |                         |

each cell should have a size appropriate for the content, i.e., if "i"
and "l" are large and "k" and "j" are small, then the separator
between "i" and "k" will not be aligned with the separator between "j"
and "l".

thanks!

<http://truepeace.org> <http://pmw.org.il/> <http://www.memri.org/>
<http://www.honestreporting.com> <http://www.openvotingconsortium.org/>
There are no answers, only cross references.