Subject: Change bars in PDF (using XEP)

What is the state of creating revision marks / change bars in a PDF
document? Seems to be something of a black art, not much information to
be found about it.

DocBook XML has the revision and revisionflag attributes, but it seems
that the FO stylesheets (1.69.1) don't process them. RenderX XEP 4.2 has
support for rx:change-bar-begin and rx:change-bar-end extensions, which
work the same as their namesakes in the XSL 1.1 draft.

There is some change bar processing in the HTML stylesheets, which
should insert some CSS rules in the result and then enclose the
appropriate elements in a div or span with the appropriate class, to get
visual distinction. I tried a transformation to HTML with some elements
that had revisionflag set, but I could not get anything like that out. I
assume you need to use the profile stylesheets and set the
profile.revisionflag parameter, correct?

What would be the simplest way to bring this kind of functionality to
the FO --> PDF transformation? I was thinking of augmenting my
stylesheet customization layer so that every element with revisionflag
set would be enclosed in an rx:change-bar-begin / end section, but I
couldn't figure out how to do it. Any ideas would be appreciated.

--Jere