Subject: Re: [docbook-apps] xpointer woes

> XIncludes are resolved before the DocBook stylesheets are applied.

Makes sense as a large document XInclude validation is excessively long.

> They must be resolved by an XInclude-aware parser.  Oxygen has such a
parser, but I've found that XInclude support varies among the various
parsers.

Through (informal) testing, seems XIncludes are much like relational databases
in that fully "normalizing" a large XML document with XIncludes creates a
real performance nightmare for validation and pre-stylesheet application. I
have subsequently "flattened-out" XInclude usage to achieve some sort of
acceptable performance expectations. Discussions with other IDE (non-oXygen)
and some xsltproc users seem to experience similar woes with substantial
XInclude usage/nesting in large XML documents.

Maybe the oXygen folks could take a look at the situation and provide some
insight for XInclude performance enhancements ...

Raymond