Subject: Re[2]: [docbook-apps] Using OpenOffice as a DocBook editor

Hello,

> The  problem with most tools such as OOo W is that they give amazing
> formatting features at the click of a button.

The  point  is that the whole functional and user interface concept of
Word  and  of all its clones (such as e.g. OO Writer) has been done by
people  who  understand  nothing  of  (and  imho  don't  care for) the
requirements  of  people  who  have  to efficiently author structured,
reusable documents of not-totally-ridiculously-trivial complexity.

And  that  due  to  its  ubiquity  this  functional and user interface
concept  simply  has  mislead  all  those  users who never got to know
anything  else  to  think  that  this  is  the way document processing
applications have to be.

I've  been using "structured markup" as a way of working long before I
even  knew that SGML existed and long before XML was invented. Because
I had the luck to know _other_ software than MS Word. And no, I didn't
know LaTeX either at that time, nor did I ever use it intensively.

Sincerely,

Wolfgang Keller

--
P.S.: My From-address is correct