Subject: Good HTML Output--Bad PDF

I've just gotten an inherited xml publishing setup to work for HTML:

  Linux (FC 2): xsltproc, teTeX 2, docbook xsl-stylesheets-1.69.1

Note:  I had to increase the save size in my teTeX distribution to a large
number (9000 didn't work, then I bumped it to 90000 and it worked).

The HTML output looks fine, but the PDF output keeps stopping with a pdftex
error:

<snip>
INFO: Using normal, i.e. nonfrench-spacing in document
(/usr/share/texmf/tex/latex/psnfss/t1phv.fd)
(/usr/share/texmf/tex/latex/psnfss/t1pcr.fd)
[1{/usr/share/texmf/dvips/config/p
dftex.map}] (/usr/share/texmf/tex/latex/psnfss/ts1ptm.fd)
\utfeight@protect@chars ...\string ##3\string ##4}

l.17 ...o:block>1.</fo:block></fo:list-item-label>
                                                  <fo:list-item-body
start-i...

!  ==> Fatal error occurred, the output PDF file is not finished!
Transcript written on manual.log.
*** Error code 1

I can hit return but get the error later (the source document has a series
of included files for sections).

Can anyone suggest the next step?  At this point it looks to me like a
problem with either pdfxmltex or the docbook fo stylesheets?

I will be happy to provide my doc source setup if anyone believes they can
debug this one.

Thanks.

Tom Browder