Subject: Re: [docbook-apps] Re: Good HTML Output--Bad PDF

I think I had the same problem last time I tried to use
Passivetex. It may be that some recent changes to the DocBook
stylesheets have broken Passivetex output.

Anyway, it doesn't really matter, because the DocBook project is
no longer attempting to support Passivetex.

Passivetex was never anything more than a sort of proof of concept
to begin with, and has not been in active development for
something like 2 or 3 years now.

I think you should try "dblatex" instead.

  http://dblatex.sourceforge.net/

I don't think dblatex is packaged for any OS distros yet, so you
will need to install it manually. And it has nothing to do with
XSL-FO (it is pure DocBook-to-LaTex), but seems to me to do at
least a good of job as the other free-software once-seemed-
promising-but- it's-clear-now-that-they-will-never-amount-to-
anything XSL-FO engines -- Passivetex or FOP -- ever did.

And dblatex currently has a lot of momentum behind it. For one
thing, the KDE doc team seems to have decided on it is as their
DocBook-to-PDF solution.

Time will tell if it ends up being worthwhile or if it ends up
going the way of Passivetex and FOP. But for now, as far as
free-software DocBook-to-PDF solutions, it seems like the one most
worthy of investing time in using and trying to help improve.