Subject: Re: [docbook-apps] Tool to query dtd/schema for valid element children|attributes [SOLVED]

David Nebauer <davidnebauer@switch.com.au> writes:

> 'flatten' also succeeded in flattening the local copy of db4.2.  You may
> be interested to know that, oddly enough, 'flatten' fails on my default
> Debian/testing system when given either public or system ID:

That is expected, actually. It is intended strictly to be used
with an absolute or relative local-system pathname as its single
argument. I guess it could be made to handle
command-line-specified remote system IDs correctly, and, without
too much more work, public IDs (just by passing everything as-is
to xmlcatalog). Or at least it could include a usage statement to
make it clear what the usage is :)

But, to be fair, I think when Norm wrote it, it was intended just
to be used as a project-internal tool for building the flattened
Website and Slides DTDs.

> $ xmlcatalog /etc/xml/catalog
> http://oasis-open.org/docbook/xml/4.2/docbookx.dtd
> No entry for SYSTEM http://oasis-open.org/docbook/xml/4.2/docbookx.dtd
> No entry for URI http://oasis-open.org/docbook/xml/4.2/docbookx.dtd
>
> This is somewhat strange as I can manually trace through the catalog files:
>
> /etc/xml/catalog (line 49):
> <delegateSystem
> systemIdStartString="http://www.oasis-open.org/docbook/xml/";
> catalog="file:///etc/xml/docbook-xml.xml"/>

The reason is that you have http://oasis-open.org/... in the
command line, but the Debian catalogs have http://www.oasis-open.org/...

Ideally, I guess the catalogs ought to have both
www.oasis-open.org and oasis-open.org (or actually, perhaps we all
ought to forget about the OASIS URIs entirely and just use
docbook.org and maybe www.docbook.org -- since OASIS,
historically, has not provided an adequate means for TCs to
keeping OASIS-based web content up to date).

  --Mike

--
Michael Smith
http://sideshowbarker.net/