Subject: Re: [docbook-apps] Appendix subtitles

Well, the article/appendix is handled yet another way in HTML/XHTML output.
In component.xsl, in the template with match="appendix", you will find this:

    <xsl:choose>
      <xsl:when test="parent::article and $ischunk = 0">
        <xsl:call-template name="section.heading">
          <xsl:with-param name="level" select="1"/>
          <xsl:with-param name="title">
            <xsl:apply-templates select="." mode="object.title.markup"/>
          </xsl:with-param>
        </xsl:call-template>
      </xsl:when>
      <xsl:otherwise>
        <xsl:call-template name="component.separator"/>
        <xsl:call-template name="appendix.titlepage"/>
      </xsl:otherwise>
    </xsl:choose>

When inside an article, it processed only the title.  You'll have to also
customize this to handle subtitle.

These awkward treatments come about because a book appendix is a peer to
chapter and article, but an article appendix appears inside an article.
Although they have the same element name, they must be handled very
differently in generating properly structured output.

DocBook Consulting