Subject: Re: [docbook-apps] Profiling: best practices to exclude nodes ratherthan including them

Georges Schmitz wrote:

> (A)
> Now, a tutorial should be less crowded with extensive explanations of
> every gui label, than should eg. the help system. Thus I want to say:
> these 2 paras should go into a tutorial and the rest of the section
> (maybe 8 other paras) not.
>
> Do I have to tag 2 paras with condition="manual help tutorial" and the
> other 8 ones with condition="manual help"? In no time, you don't see
> anymore, which part of your document appears in which output.

Sure you can do it this way, but it will be a lot of work. Usually it is
better to mark just *exceptions*. In order to do this you will probably
need to rethink how profiling information are used. In this particular
example not marking the first two paras and then marking other eight
ones with condition="nottutorial" or condition="verbose" might have sense.

> (B)
> Similar problem with my conformance attribute: there is a central gui
> component in nearly all software modules, but eg. in module "mod7" there
> are missing 2 buttons, the other 7 modules use these buttons. As far as
> I can see, I have to write conformance="mod1 mod2 mod3 ... mod8",
> leaving out mod7 in the list.
>
> It would help a lot, if I could use a profiling attribute by "negation",
> saying in pseudo-style something like conformance="not(mod7)".

You can use conformance="notmod7". Then if you will be generating
documentation for module 1, you will use
profile.conformance="mod1;notmod2;notmod3;notmod4;...;notmod7".

> My question is: are there some methods to get profiling complexity down
> in my environment?

The tricks mentioned above could help. If this is not satisfactory for
you, you can try to come up with some better logic of marking and
conditionaly removing content. But past experience shows that it is
quite hard to come with something which will be complete, simple and
predictable.

					Jirka

   Nejbližší termíny školení: DocBook 5.-7.12. * XSL-FO 19.-20.12.
      XSLT 17.-20.10. * XML schémata (včetně RELAX NG) 7.-9.11.

S/MIME Cryptographic Signature