Subject: Re: [docbook-apps] Olinking to a table row

Hi Peter,
I think this was simply an oversight.  It certainly makes sense to link into
a table. I would file this as a bug report rather than a feature request.

Of course, linking to a table row or entry element means you have supply the
text content for the olink, because the stylesheet doesn't generate link
text for either of those elements.

You can get olink access to those IDs in your customization layer by adding
this template:

<xsl:template match="table" mode="olink.mode">
  <xsl:call-template name="obj"/>
  <xsl:apply-templates mode="olink.mode"/>
</xsl:template>

DocBook Consulting

From: "Peter Kullmann" <p.kullmann@arenae.ch>
To: <docbook-apps@lists.oasis-open.org>
Sent: Tuesday, November 01, 2005 2:29 AM
Subject: [docbook-apps] Olinking to a table row

I try to olink to a table row and it doesn't work: In the target.db
(generated by docbook.xsl with collect.xref.targets) no child elements of
the table are generated. For example:

Document:
  <tgroup cols="3">
    <thead>
      <row>
        <entry>Parameter</entry>
        <entry>Beschreibung</entry>
        <entry>Wert (Beispiel)</entry>
      </row>
    </thead>
    <tbody>
      <row id="ft.x-par.adts">
        <entry>adts</entry>

Corresponding target.db:
<obj element="table" href="ft.refdata.sysparam.html#id2697899" number="63">
  <ttl>Systemparameter</ttl>
  <xreftext>Tabelle 63, â200236Systemparameterâ200234</xreftext>
</obj>

I think the reason for this behaviour is clear. In the commons/targets.xsl
the following temlate prevents the processing of the child nodes of a table:

<xsl:template match="figure|example|table" mode="olink.mode">
  <xsl:call-template name="obj"/>
</xsl:template>

As a solution or workaround I can overwrite this template in my
customization layer. But on the other hand I have some questions:
- Is it a bad thing to link into a table?
- Is there a reason why child-nodes of tables are not considered worthy
targets in the olink-setup? Perhaps there's too much data?
- Shall I submit a feature request for child-nodes of table (and for
example)?

Thanks for comments and hints

Peter