Subject: Re: [docbook-apps] Small questions about what tools to use

Hello Alejandro:

>Then I learnt a lot more about docbook, and I learnt that docbook2pdf was just
>using Jade and DSSSL behind the scenes, and that there were (modern)
>alternatives to them. I tried PassiveTex, and it didn't work completely, so I
>tried FOP (with some help, because it's a bit trickier to install Java here).
>With DocBook XSL and FOP the result wasn't bad, but seemed a bit less mature
>than the version Jade generated (the size of fonts and margins, for example),
>so I chose the latter.

In fact it is true that there are more modern options, but this doesn't
mean they are better. I don't think the FO standard covers as much as
the DSSSL standard. I am working on an extension of OpenJade in order to
support the complex page-sequence, which will even enhance the
possibilities of the tool. I think that, although the stylesheets and
the processing of OpenJade may have bugs that must be corrected, the
result is quite professional. In fact, for generating PDF you are first
generating TeX and then PDF, and TeX has demonstrated quality.

>And now I want to start a new document, and I have some doubts about what
>tools to use:
>
>* Will Jade work with Docbook 5.0? I tried with defguide5 (is the only DB5
>document I have), and it didn't, so I don't know if start with 4.x, or with
>the 5.0 beta.

Jade or OpenJade is a processor, and will work with any XML document.
OpenJade is not designed to work with Schemas as far as I know, and I
don't know if DocBook5.0 is going to be defined with DTD or Schema model.

>* Should I remain with DSSSL/Jade, or switch to XSL, and just customize the
>stylesheets until I get a result which is near to what I like?

Up to you. You can also customize your DSSSL stylesheets without problem.

Javi