Subject: Programlistingco w/ startinglinenumber argument ?

Dear list,

I believe I encountered a bug using programlinstingco
and line numbering.
I have failed to find a discussion about this in the
list archive, so here
is my story:

I have a pdf document with code fragments. Each line
fragment is numbered
and the first line number reflects the actual line
number in the full code.

In ascii-art, this means:
|...end paragraph.                      |
| |-----------------------------------| |
| | |-------------------------------| | |
| | | 51 - fragment line one     (1)| | |
| | | 52 - last line of fragment    | | |
| | |-------------------------------| | |
| |       Example 1: Title            | |
| |-----------------------------------| |
| |(1) First bullet                   | |
| |-----------------------------------| |
|Begin paragraph...                     |

The following works (slightly edited example with
added line breaks in
programlisting. The original case has no line breaks
and an xi:fallback
structure):

<example>
 <title>Title</title>
  <!-- programlistingco should have no attrib at all
?? -->
  <programlistingco startinglinenumber="51">
   <programlisting linenumbering="numbered">
    <xi:include href="http://foo/code/ex1-l51-52.txt";
     parse="text"
     xmlns:xi="http://www.w3.org/2001/XInclude";>
    </xi:include>
   </programlisting>
  <areaspec units="linecolumn">
   <!-- not relative to startinglinenumber, sigh -->
   <area id="ex1co1" coords="1"/>
  </areaspec>
 </programlistingco>
</example>
<calloutlist>
 <callout arearefs="ex1co1">
  <para>First bullet</para>
 </callout>
</calloutlist>

But this does not: starting line number is 1:
<example>
 <title>Title</title>
  <programlistingco>
   <programlisting linenumbering="numbered"
startinglinenumber="51">

Outside a programlistingco, the above programlisting
form works as expected.

So I would say someone is wrong here: docbook-xsl, the
Docbook TDG doc, or
myself.
What's your pick ?

PS: Using DocBook XML V4.4, Docbook-xsl 1.69.1/fo, FOP
0.20.5, SAXON 6.5.3,
Xerces-J 2.7.1

Regards,
--JPM