Subject: Re: [docbook-apps] Imagedata fileref - wrong path

Hi Donna,
The XInclude process inserts xml:base attributes into the elements that are
included to indicate what directory (actually what file) the element came
from.  The image filerefs in an element are assumed to be taken as relative
to that location, not the location of the including file.  So, for example,
if you unit test a chapter without Xincludes, then images are taken relative
to the chapter file and it works.  When you then XInclude that chapter from
a book file in another location, the stylesheet uses the xml:base attributes
to recompute the path to the images so that they are taken as relative to
the master book file.

In your case, it sounds like you don't want the image pathnames to be
recomputed.  My suggestion was to add the simplied template mentioned at the
end of that mail to your customization layer to turn off that behavior.
Then you will get the former behavior, which was to not take xml:base into
account.

There is another possibility: some versions of xsltproc had bugs in
generating xml:base attributes for relative XInclude paths.  It is possible
that the stylesheet is behaving correctly but it is getting wrong xml:base
information on the input side.  The OS upgrade may have resulted in you
using such a version of xsltproc.  The current version works properly.

DocBook Consulting