Subject: wanting to understand the use of attributes in xsl templates

Hi,

I'm hoping to get a better understanding of the role of attributes when writing templates in my customisation layers.  I'll use and example of what I have done.

Now that I'm trying to achieve the same result for my PDF output, things are a bit different.  The default template for <phrase> in fo/inline.xsl is:
<xsl:template match="phrase">
  <xsl:call-template name="inline.charseq"/>
</xsl:template>

If I create a new template in my customisation layer as:
<xsl:template match="phrase[@role='red']">
  <fo:inline color="red">
    <xsl:apply-imports/>
  </fo:inline>
  <xsl:call-template name="inline.charseq"/>
</xsl:template>

I get the text wrapped in <phrase role="red"> as red text *and* the same text in black.  Removing the call to inline.charseq seems to work.

Question 1.  If I have
will the first <phrase> only call the template that has [@role='red'] or will it call both templates?

Question 2.  What named colours are supported by FOP?  For my html output I'm using CSS with the basic 16 named colours (aqua, black, blue, fuschia, etc) and I would like to use the same names in my PDF output.

Question 3.  Assuming everything will work as I hope, how do I reference the role attribute as a variable instead of creating 16 almost identical templates (1 for each colour)?

Thanks for your help,

Geoff