Subject: Re: [docbook-apps] Bookmarks not generated when using FOP -> PS

Yes, that is what I would expect.  I don't think there is a way to embed bookmarks in PostScript that can be translated to PDF bookmarks.

But if you are only doing this for the graphics, do you have access to Adobe Illustrator? It can open an EPS and save it as SVG format.  Perhaps there are other conversion tools out there?

DocBook Consulting

Sent: Wednesday, November 30, 2005 3:10 AM

If I format .fo documents to .pdf. I get a table of contents in the form of PDF bookmarks. If I format .fo to .ps and then distill the .ps to .pdf using Acrobat distiller, my resultant .pdf has no bookmarks.

Is this what you’d expect?  Is it possible to get FOP to work its magic and embed the ToC in the ps file so that it gets translated (or passes through) the distillation process?

The reason I’m doing this is because I have some documents with vector graphics in them and FOP only supports SVG for output to pdf.  I can’t currently create these graphics in SVG and so have produces them as .eps files.  FOP will put the .eps files into the .ps output and I can then distill .ps -> .pdf.  My vector graphics are included, but, unfortunately, my bookmark ToC is not.

Tim