Subject: html/chunktoc.xsl and Xalan: front matter missing

Hi all -

When I use html/chunktoc.xsl with Xalan (the default XSLT processor used
with Ant's xslt task), the bookinfo and table of contents do not appear on
the root page (index.html).  All I get on index.html is the top and bottom
nav.  Also, some other things do not appear on chapter pages, like the
title, or the chapter toc.

Everything renders correctly when I use xsltproc with chunktoc.xsl.

Is this a known issue?  Expected behavior?  Are there any workarounds?
Or am I just doing something wrong?

Steps to reproduce:

1. Directory set-up for test:
     docbook-xsl-1.69.1/...
     t/book.xml
     t/build.xml
     t/output-chunk/
     t/output-chunktoc/
     t/output-chunk-xsltproc/
     t/output-chunktoc-xsltproc/

2. book.xml:
   - - -
<?xml version="1.0" standalone="no"?>
<!DOCTYPE book PUBLIC "-//OASIS//DTD DocBook XML V4.4//EN"
                       "http://www.oasis-open.org/docbook/xml/4.4/docbookx.dtd";>
<book id="HelloWorld">
   <bookinfo>
     <title>Hello, World</title>
     <subtitle>A Test Book</subtitle>
     <edition>Version 1.0</edition>
     <pubdate>2006-02-06</pubdate>
     <copyright>
       <year>2006</year>
       <holder>Me</holder>
     </copyright>
     <legalnotice>
       <para>
 	This work is mine!  Plagarism is wrong!
       </para>
     </legalnotice>
     <revhistory>
       <revision>
 	<revnumber>1.0</revnumber>
 	<date>2006-02-06</date>
 	<revremark>Initial release</revremark>
       </revision>
     </revhistory>
   </bookinfo>

   <chapter id="firstchap">
     <title>My First Chapter</title>
     <para>
       I am thrilled to be writing a book for the very first time.  I
       expect it to sell 10,000 copies in its first year.  I realize
       this is ambitious, but I believe there will be a great deal of
       interest in what I have to say...
     </para>
   </chapter>

   <chapter id="chapthe2nd">
     <title>Chapter The Second</title>
     <para>
       And here I am already on my second chapter.  My, how time flies
       when you're on a roll!  I will have this book completed in no
       time at all, I think!
     </para>
     <section id="c2subsec">
       <title>A Sub-section of Chapter Two</title>
       <para>
 	Aha!  You thought I was done with this chapter, but no!  I
 	have a sub-section to share with you!
       </para>
     </section>
   </chapter>

   <chapter id="the3rdchap">
     <title>The Third Chapter</title>
     <para>
       Let's see... What should go in the final chapter... Um... How
       about a story about my cat, Whiskers?  People like cats...
     </para>
   </chapter>

</book>
   - - -

3. build.xml:
   - - -
<?xml version="1.0"?>

<project
     name="DocBookBuild"

   <target
       name="maketoc"
       description="generate toc.xml from test book"

     <xslt
 	in="book.xml"
 	out="toc.xml"
 	style="../docbook-xsl-1.69.1/html/maketoc.xsl">
     </xslt>
   </target>

   <target
       name="html-chunk"
       description="generate HTML from test book, using chunk.xsl"

     <xslt
 	in="book.xml"
 	out="output-chunk.log"
 	style="../docbook-xsl-1.69.1/html/chunk.xsl">
       <param name="base.dir" expression="output-chunk/" />
     </xslt>
   </target>

   <target
       name="html-chunktoc"
       description="generate HTML from test book, using chunktoc.xsl"

     <xslt
 	in="book.xml"
 	out="output-chunktoc.log"
 	style="../docbook-xsl-1.69.1/html/chunktoc.xsl">
       <param name="base.dir" expression="output-chunktoc/" />
       <param name="chunk.toc" expression="toc.xml" />
     </xslt>
   </target>

</project>
   - - -

4. Generate toc.xml:
     cd t
     ant maketoc

5. Generate HTML using chunk.xsl:
     ant html-chunk

6. Generate HTML using chunktoc.xsl:
     ant html-chunktoc

7. Compare with xsltproc output:
     xsltproc -output output-chunk-xsltproc/ \
       ../docbook-xsl-1.69.1/html/chunk.xsl book.xml
     xsltproc -output output-chunktoc-xsltproc/ \
       -stringparam chunk.toc toc.xml \
       ../docbook-xsl-1.69.1/html/chunktoc.xsl book.xml

Thanks for any assistance you can provide!

-- Dan