Subject: SV: [docbook-apps] DocBook specializations (was: Re: [docbook] DocBook for hardware documentation=

Hi all,

> Would it makes sense to provide customization developers a best
> practices guide, and a "DocBook Specializations Repository" where
> people could contribute their customized schemas and stylesheets to
> handle specific requirements, by metier for example?

Sounds as an obvious way to use DocBook in branches where documents are not computer-related, e.g. in the publishing business.

Adapting the concept of specializations from DITA makes it easy to implement structures from other schemas, and still call it DocBook. You could grab structures from TEI (for instance 'poems') and use them in DocBook.

This will be a step along the path towards a general content model for publications (books, articles, reports etc.). I am well aware of that the number of elements may explode, but with a specialization model you can use 'DocBook-core' with the modules you like. With an open repository you don't need to reinvent the wheel.

Henrik Ryom
Senior Information Architect
InfoFuture A/S
www.infofuture.com