Subject: Course litterature using docbook, application of qanda

Hello docbook users!
Im working on putting course litterture on the web (xhtml) and in pdf
format, using docbook. Its around 300 pages with theory and
questions/answers.

The material is divided into modules using chapter as root. For each
chapter there is a set of questions, wrapped in a qandaset. Each
question is devided in question text, answer text using question
answer tags and i have added two more answer tags with a different
role attribute as seen below:
<qandaentry>
<question>The question text</question>
<answer role="hint">a hint text</answer>
<answer role="solution">the solution</answer>
<answer role="discussion">Discussing the solution of the problem</answer>
</qandaentry>
 The chapters is brought together using xinclude and then chunked for
the web version using the chunk.xsl. I have a customization layer to
ignore the qandasets since its treated separately.

Now to the problem.
-I would like to link from the chunked webpage to different questions
contained in the main xml documents. The questions should appear in a
new window showing only the question requested. From there, there
should be buttons to get hint/solution etc... and back button.
-Link to a random question,

(I need to keep the questions/answers in the main documents to
preserve chapter numbering of the question)

Up to now my ideas are
I'd use xsl to extract the qandasets from the main documents (done
only when updated) into a file for example questions.xml.
Then each time a question is accessed a servlet with id and category
(solution /hint etc) is called to transform question.xsl for the
question/answer requested and the resulting xhtml is sent back to the
user in a new window.
For this to be fast enough i figured i need a lite veresion of docbook
stylesheets,
to do on the fly transformation. (any idea or recommendations what to use?)

An other idea would be to make a customisation layer to chunk the
question/answers into separate xhtml files.

Maybe there is a much simpler way to do this..?

If someone is working with a similar project, or has experience with
these issues, id greatly appreciate any input and exchange of ideas.

Regards
Staffan Molin