Subject: Re: [docbook-apps] MathML and DocBook problems

Jirka Kosek wrote:

> Do you think that it is possible to call it directly during XSLT
> transformation to make processing of MathML completely transparent
> to a user? (Something like creating Saxon extension that will call Jython
> to execute your convertor.)

I am not a Jython expert, so I don't know. But I will take your question
as a request for enhancement :-).

What I can suggest instead is a Python script to replace all MathML
subtrees with their SVG counterparts, leaving elements from other
namespaces intact. Such a thing could be applied to the final FO
as a postprocessing step. Would it help? If yes, I will try to set
it up in one of the next weekends.

(In fact, the task is slightly more complicated than mere replacing:
the resulting SVG images shall be adjusted vertically to align
the baseline of the math with that of the text. Some fiddling with
the surrounding FO looks necessary as well).

Regards,
Nikolai