Subject: Re: [docbook-apps] Generate SCORM from DocBook

Sasha Philippov <philya@gmail.com> writes:

> Yes, because converter generates SCORM 1.3 aka 2004 packages.
>
> I test with ADL's conformance test suite and sample runtime
> environment. See: http://www.adlnet.gov/scorm/

That unfortunately seems to be provided only in the form of a
Windows executable file.

After a look through the ADL site, I get the sense that the ADL
people have a very Windows-centric view of the world -- to the
point where they don't seem to consider users on other platforms.
The above page doesn't even contain any description at all of the
platform requirements. I had to download the whole 20Mb zip file
and unzip to find out the contents were a single *.exe file.

And reading through some of the online docs, I see the subgeniuses
at ADL seem to have hard-coded it to work only with Microsoft Access.

Anyway, I came across the following:

  http://www.adlnet.gov/scorm/articles/12.cfm

That page indicates that the ADL sample runtime is actually
Java-based and SQL-based at its core, and that a developer named
Gabor Ercsenyi has managed to wade through the ADL code (which
sounds from his description to have a not particularly brillian
design) and made a version of it that's platform-independent and
database-independent. Cheers to him for doing that.
Unfortunately, there's no download link there for that version.
Any idea of somewhere where it might be publicly downloadable?

And it seems like the default distribution from ADL really ought
to be the platform-independent one. (Do you know any of the ADL
people? Being a US-government-funded project, I'd expect that ADL
ought to have to follow some kind of principle about designing and
providing their deliverables in a platform-independent form.)

Anyway, are you aware of any other player/viewer I can use to run
on Linux to view your example DocBook-based package.zip?

> I'm planning to add support for 1.2 to the converter in the close
> future.

Cool. Thanks by the way for having made the current version usable
on non-Windows platforms. If looks like a great application, but
if you had followed the ADL lead an made it Windows-only, I would
have never known because I would have not taken any time to
download and try it. But now that I've got it, I just hope I find
some app I can use to actually view and run your
generated-from-DocBook sample file.

  --Mike

smime.p7s