Subject: RE: [docbook-apps] Docbook and 508 Compliance

Title: Message
Ray,

In 2004, Larry Rowland, who is a member of the DocBook TC,
did an investigation of accessibility that led to changes
that were pulled into DocBook 5.0 (and some maybe into 4.x).
In particular, in DocBook 5.0, alt is allowed pretty much
anywhere, including in <itemizedlist> and <listitem>.

That said, I'm not sure there's a specific write up on
this topic.  Your best bet is probably to start with a
search on the email archives.  Drop the following into
google:

"site:http://lists.oasis-open.org/archives docbook accessibility"

The first hit I got was Larry's email that summarizes his
investigation, along with some follow up.  The minutes to
the DocBook TC meetings for the next few months after that
(August 2004) provide some useful information, too.

Finally, I know that the folks working on stylesheets have
done quite a bit to make the transforms generate accessible
content; you may want to check out your site using some of
the tools available to see how close you already are. W3C
has a list on its website: http://www.w3.org/WAI/.

Hope that helps,
Dick Hamilton