Subject: Re: [docbook-apps] docbook2X: iconv: (stdin): cannot convert

Jim Osborn <jimo@eskimo.com> writes:

> After installing docbook2X-0.8.5 I tried the suggested two-part
> invocation of docbook2man on a file in the test/refentry directory:
>
>   db2x_xsltproc -s man -o sgml2xml.mxml sgml2xml.xml
>
> successfully makes sgml2xml.mxml.  But then
>
>   db2x_manxml sgml2xml.mxml
>
> fails with this message:
>
>   iconv: (stdin): cannot convert
>   /usr/local/bin/db2x_manxml: program in pipeline exited with an error

I'd suggest instead trying the manpages stylesheet from the
DocBook XSL stylesheets -- either the latest official release,
1.69.1, or the current snapshot -

  http://docbook.sourceforge.net/snapshot/

So with those, you can do a transformation from DocBook to man
output with one of the following commands:

  xsltproc \
    http://docbook.sf.net/release/xsl/current/manpages/docbook.xsl \
    FOO.xml

  xsltproc \
    /usr/share/xml/docbook/stylesheet/nwalsh/manpages/docbook.xsl \
    FOO.xml

(Replace the path in the second with whatever the local system pat
to the manpages/docbook.xsl driver file is on your system.)

If you run into problems or have questions about those, you can
get help either on this list or on the #docbook IRC channel on
freenode.net.

  --Mike

smime.p7s