Subject: Re: Annotating PDF files

>> Is it possible to use DocBook XML to create PDF files that can be
>> annotated in a PDF reader (adding comments, typically used for
>> proofreading and collaboration)?

> Note that I'm aware that this can be done by post processing the PDF
> file with Adobe Acrobat.

> But I was hoping this was possible to achieve using only free tools.

Adobe reader calls what I'm hoping to do for "comments", and not
"annotations".   The stuff you can do is notes, highlights and stamps
(whatever stamps are?).  The tools for doing this should be available
of the PDF document has the appropriate usage rights.

Appearently FOP doesn't insert these rights, because I can't see these
tools if I open a file I've created from DocBook using FOP 0.91beta.

Hm... this is probably more of a FOP question than a DocBook apps
question.  So I'll ask on the FOP mailing list, and report back here
if I find anything interesting.