Subject: Re: [docbook-apps] QandASet encapsulation and TOC

Thanks, I will try to find the mentioned thread. I have a feeling that all the Q&A-related elements loosely fit the rest of Docbook or they are just a bit overlooked as rarely used.

Regards,

-Zbyszek

On 5/1/06, Bob Stayton <bobs@sagehill.net> wrote:
Hi,
As others have found, qandaset isn't really a structural element in DocBook.  The highest level element in can be a child of is one of appendix, article, chapter, partintro, or preface.  It is possible through customization to add qandasets to various tables of contents, as was described in an earlier thread, but you would have to handle the nested qandaset hierarchy yourself.

I don't know if this would work in your case, but a solution that has been suggested before for large structured FAQs is to use sections to form the structure, and make each qandset within a section a simple list.  The qandaset would have no title; instead, the title would go on the section.  That way you can more easily get your groups into a TOC, and it would be able to be handled in a modular fashion without a lot of customization.

DocBook Consulting

Sent: Sunday, April 30, 2006 1:39 AM
Subject: [docbook-apps] QandASet encapsulation and TOC

Hi list,

My intent is to include a QandASet in a book. The qandaset, as it will grow, will later be excluded and published as a separate book(?). My question is: what kind of root element do you use to encapsulate qandaset in a book? Chapter, appendix? I have tried both and had a problem with TOC. While my customization layer forces TOC to be present at the beginning of each chapter, it did not work for the one containing a qandaset divided into qandadivs. How can I insert a local TOC in such a case?

If qandaset is a separate document, what shall I use to encapsulate it to look similarly to a book but, of course, with title labeling specific to QandASets? I haven't found too much on qandaset in Docbook: TDG nor Docbook XSL (BTW, it's a great book).

Thanks,

-Zbyszek