Subject: Re: [docbook-apps] Initial page numbering for book chapter?

Jirka Kosek wrote:
>> This is the reason I think preface should be excluded in
>> first.book.content; and even more because it is handled separately
>> later in the template.
>
> This seems as a reasonable fix. I have added it into code base.

Great! Thanks!

> BTW, for some languages (including Czech) you usually have to completely
> redefine initial.page.number template because typographical rules for
> page numbering are completely different (e.g. in Czech roman numerals
> are usually not used, front matter is included in numbering, but numbers
> are not shown, ...).

Ahh, the wonderful world of local standards and conventions :-)

Actually, in the few Danish (yeah, I'm a Dane :-S) technical and
scientific books I own the principle is the same as you describe for
Czech; but I have adapted the English tradition, which I like better,
for the manuals produced at work, and have had no complaints so far :-)

Would it make any sense to make a collection of localized
initial.page.number and select a specific one with a parameter?

I wouldn't be surprised if, e.g., most Western European countries follow
the same tradition.

Thanks again!

Best regards,

	Rune Lausen